Thanksgiving in Korea 2013

This year for Thanksgiving, the tiger crew stopped in at our good friend's place for a hearty meal and great times. Here's what our writers had to say.

Leif

Thanksgiving in Korea. Do we do it? YOU BET! 



This year was much different because I've met so many American expats here. And if there's one thing I've learned, it's that Thanksgiving is a much-loved holiday in the US. It's especially important for expats because many of us have families at home who are carving the bird while we're busy at work.

In Korea, it's unlikely that we'll find a bird, and our family involvement is limited to video chat. So, we improvise.

This year, our good friend Thomas hosted an American Thanksgiving dinner as a gift to Ashley and Earthship Academy alumnus, Jacq, for helping him attain his life goals. Ashley brought her crew as a plus-three.

Thomas made pork tenderloin, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, stuffing, pumpkin pie and delicious gravy. He even baked ridiculously delicious ginger snaps. People brought bread. I did up some nice cider with all the right spices. And we gave thanks.

We gave thanks for everything from Thomas' delicious Thanksgiving food to the expat community, good friends and good times.

I have a special thank-you to add. When we Europeans first came to Canada, we would have died if it weren't for the First Nations support in teaching us how to live in that unfamiliar territory. In many ways, it is a sad story because we were not always friendly in our interactions with the early people of Canada. The VERY least we can do is show gratitude for the help of the original Canadians in those dark and difficult times.

With that in mind, I would also like to thank the Korean community for treating us with respect and helping us adjust to living here. Since I have been here I have met so many friendly and helpful people. My Thanksgiving wish is that the expat community continues to be grateful and appreciative of the support we receive while we are working and living abroad.





Ashley

Sorry Leif, but one thing I'm definitely NOT thankful for is the cold! My SoCal body (even after two Korean winters) has not yet adapted to this thing people call winter. Though warm food and friends to cuddle close to are two of many things that I AM thankful for.

Of course I ruin this beautiful moment to get on my phone,
must have been checking my Ingress game
This year's Thanksgiving was a wonderful balance between the lonely Thanksgiving of last year and the large scale party of the year before. It's nice to have finally found a group of people who are comfortable doing nothing but talking and being ourselves. No games or events needed here, just the expat family (yes that includes you YOUNG GUN!)

Speaking of YG: TRADITION!!! *eats off his plate*

Young Gun

Friends and foods, a cat, a couch, naps, drinks and traditions(?).

New 'traditions' learned : Talk about what I am thankful for and dip in (eat off of) somebody's plate. 
Couldn't tell if they were real traditions, but I dipped in anyway.

Fun relaxing evening with buddies, and a cat.







Wait, one more? I thought there were only three people in the GPTWT crew?! 

Brianne

When I tell people I’m a vegetarian during the Thanksgiving season, I'm bound to elicit one of these responses: an incredulous stare followed by, “so what do you eat?” 
“but why?” or a variation of “sucks to be you today.”

This year being my 11th meat-free Thanksgiving, things have taken a slightly different turn. Instead of plucking up a tofurkey from the Trader Joe’s freezer aisle and heading to my grandparent’s house in Northwest Washington, I settled into a cozy, 10th-floor apartment in Gunsan with six other expats and one local.

And here’s my response to the, “what do you eat?” question: delicately whipped mashed and sweet potatoes, pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie, and sweet rolls. Basically, multiple helpings of what became a blissful, carbohydrate coma.

In a country where it’s not considered a meal unless there’s meat, I was truly thankful to be included in such a mouthwatering feast where I had plenty of opportunities to eat, all prepared by our talented host Thomas. 






So what are you thankful for? Let us know! :)

0 Comments