New contributor: Brianne

On October 21 I stepped onto flight OZ 271 headed to Seoul/Incheon Airport. I was terrified. Before this I had spent my entire life in the Pacific Northwest, and had never spent more than a few weeks in another country.

I have always prided myself on being emotionally stable; it was extremely rare for anyone to have witnessed seeing me cry as an adult. But the few days before I boarded that flight my emotional wall was ripped to pieces. I would burst into tears every time I had to say goodbye to a close friend or one of my family members. The anxiety made me forget how to breathe properly.

That first night in Gunsan was spent mentally trying to figure out how to get back to the states and cursing myself for making such a terrible mistake. I also came to the realization that I had left home with no plan to fall back on. I had already quit my job and packed all of my things into storage.

My third day here I met Katelyn; she used to live in my apartment and had moved two buildings up the street. Katelyn essentially showed me the ropes of the neighborhood and proved that maybe moving here wasn’t a mistake. One Sunday night she introduced me to her friend Ashley, which eventually developed into Ashley telling me about Getting Past the White Tiger and why I should write for it.

I have a love/hate relationship with writing. I studied journalism in college and never really thought about doing anything outside of that field. I also have an incredible knack for finding absolutely anything else to do besides write when there is a deadline to meet. Then I’ll stare blankly at the screen and re-write the same sentence over and over. After my eyes glaze over I will admit defeat, knowing that I am sending in an average piece of writing at best. But when I finally finish a piece I feel a huge wave of relief and maybe a little feeling of accomplishment.  But that’s the beauty of writing. It’s frustrating and sometimes heartbreaking, but I find myself always coming back to it. And I hope to produce some interesting blog posts for Getting Past the White Tiger from here on out.


0 Comments