Tigers in Korea: A Letter From Billy Coale


Ashley Guerrero
Editor in Chief
Getting Past the White Tiger

Dear Ms. Guerrero,

I was browsing through your website the other day. You have a lot of great stuff up there, but I was a little confused. I thought that this was a website about tigers. There are no tigers; there are no pictures of any animals at all! Not that I didn't love what I read, but your name is a little misleading. So, now I'm wondering about the tigers in Korea and how people deal with them? I'm only asking because I'm coming to Korea next month and I'd like to be ready.

There are no tigers in America, but some places have bears. It's really best to not try to 'get past' a bear. Bears can basically do whatever they want. Sometimes if you leave food in your car, a bear will break in and eat it. There's really nothing you can do but wait until it leaves. Some people carry bear mace around in case a bear attacks. I have a can of the stuff but I've never been attacked by a bear, so I guess I'm lucky.

Is it the same in Korea with tigers? Can I buy tiger mace there? I went to the bait shop the other day to look for some, but the guy said all they had was bear mace. I told him him that I already had a can of bear mace, but that I was going to Korea and I wanted to be ready for tigers. He suggested that maybe they only sell it in Korea. I guess that makes sense. Do you think a can of bear mace would work on a tiger?

Anyway, I'm a little worried and I'd really like to know about any dangerous animals in Korea.

Sincerely,
Billy Coale

0 Comments