Goodbye Gunsan

My Home Away From Home

Thursday was my last day of teaching at Gunsan National University. Today I leave the city filled with mixed emotions. On one hand, I'm excited to start my new life (details coming soon) and take on the new adventures it brings. On the other hand, I'm sad to say goodbye to the city that has been my home away from home for the last two and a half years. 

Let's take a short trip down memory lane, shall we?

Memory lane, Gunsan

Memory Lane:

  • Remember when I first moved in to the Foreign Faculty housing on campus? I was so excited to get out of my tiny studio apartment.
  • And then my wonderful students! I've really loved my job here and have become very close to many of my students. It's been wonderful to watch their English improve over the months (and perhaps years) I've been teaching them.
  • Finally, I'll miss my beautiful campus! Although I'm not a fan of the snow, I must admit it's beautiful along with the cherry blossoms in Spring, water fountains in Summer and the red/gold leaves in the Fall. 
On Thursday I walked out of my once vibrant classroom, now bare-walled and lifeless. Leaving that space hit me much harder than I originally anticipated. As you can see in the video below I put a lot of fun and colour into my teaching. I was there five times a day working with students on their English and their overall lives. I'll miss my life here; there's no escaping that. That said, I look forward to what's ahead of both my life and that of Getting Past The White Tiger.  



Now I'm off to Thailand for a little bit of R&R! See you soon, Korea!


Ashley

Ashley R Guerrero

Ashley R Guerrero, Editor-in-chief of Getting Past the White Tiger, lives, works and writes in South Korea. Since moving here from California, she has taught for public school and University. She has also been involved in numerous charity projects and currently facilitates a knitting circle. Read more.

0 Comments