Goodbye Gunsan: SURPRISE PARTY!

So after the South Korean Teachers Sell Their Possessions For Charity event, everyone disappeared on me. I mean, the clock struck 6pm and everyone had somewhere to be but me. Not going to lie- I was disappointed. It was my last weekend in Gunsan and there was no one available to hang out with.

In the hope that someone's plans would free up, I went to a local cafe to pout and read comic books. While I'm sitting there I get a text from my friend Guissell. She's on a date.

"Ash, I think I made a horrible mistake." Uh-oh.  

Then a few minutes later I get a text from another friend, Katelyn.

"Man, Guissel's date sounds super sketchy. Be on standby." Uhhhhhhhhhhhh!

I make plans with Katelyn to meet near Guissell's at 7:45. When I get there Katelyn tells me that Guissell's on her way, but she really has to pee. We go inside and....
Photo by Jin-woo
SURPRISE!! All my hometown friends is there and Seasons of Love, a song from my favorite musical, Rent, is playing in the background. Those who know it start singing at the top of their lungs while I'm trying to get over the shock. I think I said "What the actual F@$%" and tried not to cry. I failed.

My wonderful friends threw me a surprise Rent party! Let's look at some pictures...

We had dancing! 

and singing! 

and laughing!


and licking the Nutella that SOMEONE smeared all over my face! (Looking at you Guissel) (Don't worry, I got her back.) 
and the GPTWT Team! I'm going to miss being so close to these guys <3

and finally, my creepy @$$ sign, which I do adore!

Ashley

Ashley R Guerrero

Ashley R Guerrero, Editor-in-chief of Getting Past the White Tiger, lives, works and writes in South Korea. Since moving here from California, she has taught for public school and University. She has also been involved in numerous charity projects and currently facilitates a knitting circle. Read more.

0 Comments