Busan Aquarium


If you're in Busan and looking for something to do, jump on the subway and get off at Haeundae station, depart from exit 5 and keep going straight until you get to the end of the street. There you will see the beach and the Busan Aquarium. Busan Aquarium is the largest aquarium in Korea. I had some quality one-on-one time with the aquatic creatures there, and let me tell you, it's quite the enjoyable experience.

After purchasing my ticket I was guided to a photographer who took my photo and generated an undersea picture with it. After I got the photo, I made my way underground tot he frog tank. After that there was a tank containing many different fish. I quickly discovered that if you put your hand over the tank, the entire school would swim up to my hand as if waiting for a crumb to fight over. Continuing on, my attention was absorbed by several different types of sea creatures for quite some time. Like this fella here:


One of the three main tanks that captured my attention was the shark tank. Just as the name suggests there are many different types of sharks that have made this tank a home. I chose to spend a little extra money and ride in a glass bottom boat to watch these amazing beings swim underneath my feet then in the end I was able to feed them a small snack to entice them right up to the side of the boat. For those of you brave enough and have a group of four or more, the aquarium will allow you to scuba dive with these massive creatures. The good news is if you are crazy enough to consider it the cost of this adventure will cover your admittance to the Aquarium. That unfortunately is another adventure for another day.

The second tank that captured my attention sits across from the shark tank and is a large round tank that nearly stands from ceiling to floor. The amazing feature of this tank is that it reminds you of a tube, like in Willy Wonka’s factory, however instead of sucking up chocolate from the chocolate river it houses water for many types of tropical fish. Between the colors of the fish and the deep blue of the water it is amazing to just stand there and admire the beauty of it all.

Finally there is a hands-on tank that is home to snails, and star fish. As simplistic as it may sound this was one of my favorite parts. To be able to pick up a live star fish or snail and play with it in its natural habitat was so much fun. I was astounded at how much time I spent just playing with these small creatures.



If you are looking for an adventure that the whole family would enjoy or just want to meander through and admire a different world from the one we enjoy here on land the Busan Aquarium is the place to go. For more information go to their website or call 051-7401700.





leifphoto

Jessica

Jessica is a writer and photographer who has lived and taught in Korea for long enough to earn a black belt in taekwondo. A true global pedestrian, Jessica loves to travel, her sights now set on places as diverse as Rio de Janeiro and Mt. Fuji. Her dream is to open a childcare center. Read more about our staff writers.

0 Comments